Senior Manager, Cost Accounting
Accounting & Finance
Alameda, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2022
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
The Senior Manager of Cost Accounting will provide analytical insight into R&D projects, manufacturing and operational expenses, product costing / pricing (unit economics), and product line profitability. The Senior Manager, Cost Accounting will support customer and R&D related project costs and schedule performance.
The Senior Manager of Cost Accounting will work closely with management and key stakeholders to craft and implement inventory and manufacturing cost accounting policies, procedures, and internal controls to lower the cost of access to space while ensuring compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Government Accounting Standards. The key to success in this role is actively driving process improvement and leading projects to streamline while automating workflows.
How You'll Fulfill Your Mission
- Design and implement process and controls for capturing project costs for various research & development projects.
- Work with Engineering and Operations teams on development of BOM structures for accurate product costing methodologies.
- Play an integral role in ERP and other enterprise system implementations to ensure all product costing is accurately captured.
- Develop cost standards and lead periodic updates.
- Perform monthly close processes, including cost accounting accruals, inventory costing, obsolescence, balance sheet reviews, and account reconciliations.
- Design and implement processes and controls for physical inventories and cycle counts.
- Serve as an expert on cost accounting issues and related best practices and procedures.
- Develop and provide consistent and accurate reporting of key supply chain metrics (e.g. utilization, efficiency).
- Maintain company fixed asset register and accounting policies and work with other departments to track and forecast capital projects.
- Prepare various financial analyses related to R&D costs, manufacturing costs, inventory, and expense information as needed for decision making support.
- Develop and document policies and procedures, including system requirements and internal controls.
- Assist with the coordination and deliverables for audits, including maintaining comprehensive internal control documentation.
- Perform additional duties as required.
- 8+ years relevant experience in a high growth manufacturing company with in-depth knowledge of GAAP, cost accounting, and financial reporting
- Experience with multiple costing standards (average, standard etc.) and designing and implementing controls around total cost capitalization
- Experience in a large-scale ERP implementation process required
- Must be proactive, detail-oriented, and able to prioritize critical deadlines
- High degree of initiative, exceptional organizational and problem-solving skills, and commitment to a high level of accuracy
- Bachelor’s degree with concentration in accounting, finance, or related business field
- Experience working in fast-paced, ambiguous environments
- Extensive hands-on experience working with Microsoft Dynamics, Coupa, Odoo and/or systems integrations/implementations.
- Experience building and maintaining cross-functional business partnerships
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
See more open positions at Astra
Something looks off?