Alameda, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2022
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
The Supply Chain team provides the company with the resources necessary to execute on its mission. This includes sourcing the supply of materials and services required to build our products and operate the business; facilitating inbound and outbound movement of materials; and managing timely delivery of materials and services to our internal stakeholders.
As a key member of the Astra Supply Chain Team, the Purchasing Specialist will have the opportunity to work closely with the broader Astra team to ensure timely purchase of goods and services for the business. This is a highly collaborative role that will require you to work closely with engineering and operations teams to understand their needs and execute purchases accordingly.
You You'll Fulfill Your Mission
- Schedule, purchase, and expedite Indirect materials and some Direct materials in support of all departments.
- Responsible for supply of assigned commodities, parts, office supplies and indirect materials as required by all departments.
- Work closely with Accounting & Finance, IT, R&D, Manufacturing and others in support of all procurement requirements for both NPI and sustaining purchasing.
- Communicate and work with the Accounting Department on any payable issues.
- Reconcile material receipts and invoicing discrepancies.
- Monitor inventory levels to determine required demand and adequate stock levels.
- Request quotes, samples, and production first articles for evaluation of new product designs and potential suppliers.
- Conduct negotiations with an emphasis on achieving cost reductions, maximizing savings, and securing pricing that is within the objectives set forth in an approved negotiation plan.
- Interface with suppliers and internal stakeholders for Purchase Order delivery status and oversight.
- Send daily and/or weekly updates on open order report to internal/external stakeholders to highlight blockers or challenges, minimizing adverse impact to scheduled delivery dates.
- Maintain accurate and current Purchase Order delivery dates and supplier records.
- Conduct and lead Weekly/Bi-Weekly status meetings with Suppliers and other Global Supply Chain functions.
- Interface and collaborate with Global Supply Managers, Programs, and other organizations within and outside of Global Supply Chain.
- Pilot new system features and capabilities.
- Execute tasks efficiently while emphasizing attention to detail. Maintain flexibility throughout the day to align with changing priorities.
- Additional duties may be assigned by leader.
- 3+ years of working in a procurement role within a fast-paced manufacturing, supply chain, or engineering function
- Strong knowledge of enterprise applications, i.e. PLM, ERP, MRP
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite including Excel and Word. Experience with SAP Business One a plus.
- Demonstrated success negotiating pricing, lead time, contract terms, etc.
- Well-developed multi-tasking skills in a fast-paced environment.
- Communicate and interface effectively with all levels of employees and suppliers
- Ability to work independently and to adapt to consistently changing priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain/Operations Management, Economics, Finance, Engineering, or similar
- Experience creating and implementing organized work processes
- New Product Introduction (NPI) supply chain experience, preferably within aerospace or frontier technology industries
- Experience using Coupa, Odoo and/or Microsoft Dynamics preferred
- Experience working in a start-up, ambiguous environment desired
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
See more open positions at Astra
Something looks off?