Senior Electrical Engineer
Alameda, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2022
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
We’re looking for a talented, curious, experienced engineer to join our Avionics Hardware team to help build the electronics for both rocket and spacecraft. You’ll get to own the design, component selection, schematic capture, layout, first article bring-up, production, and testing of prototypes and flight hardware for rocket/spacecraft subsystems. The job will involve working with multi-disciplinary teams and leaders for end-to-end development of state-of-the-art avionics components, including board design, system integration, and testing. In addition, there will be time allocated to supporting Mission Operations (including mission control console time).
A successful person for this job will be dynamic, self-starting, who thrives in an entrepreneurial environment, and has the potential to become significant contributors to the overall direction and success of our business.
As the ideal person for the job, not only do you know your way around schematic and layout software, but also a rack of test equipment and a soldering iron.
How You'll Fulfill Your Mission
- Partner: Work with a cross-disciplinary team of system owners including electrical, mechanical, controls, and software engineers to design and refine flight hardware.
- Build: Take ownership of everything you design from conception, test and build.
- Impress: Don't be afraid to think outside the box. Astra is doing something that no other space company has and we are always open to new and creative ideas.
- Strategize: Be prepared to look down the development path to help design products that can grow/evolve with the launch vehicle.
- Up-level: Always be aware of the systems that you interact with and have a desire to help improve them.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Electrical Engineering (or related)
- 5+ years of experience in electronics design
- PCB layout experience in Altium or equivalent
- Owning projects from start to finish
- Programming experience in C/C++/Python and/or MATLAB
- Simulation experience in spice and hyperlynx or equivalent
- Be a helpful, positive influence on the organization
- Designed for radiation tolerant systems
- Experience with redundant for flight critical systems
- Power supply design experience
- Design for low noise and minimization of EMI / EMC
- Design for high-vibration environments
- Proficient with embedded software development, Linux scripting, and octave/matlab
- Experience in mixed-signal design with DACs and ADCs
- FPGA design experience
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
See more open positions at Astra
Something looks off?