Production Technician, Mechanical Assembly
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2022
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
As an Astra Spacecraft Engine Production Technician, you will have the opportunity to apply your mechanical assembly skills in the Production of our Spacecraft Engine, a key product for the company and an integral part of our growth strategy. You will work as a part of a cross-functional team including Engineering, Supply Chain, Mission Assurance, Product and Program Management to assemble and test sub-assemblies as well as all-up propulsion modules.
How You'll Fulfill Your Mission
- Execute mechanical assembly of Propulsion Modules and deliver according to Production Targets
- Support setup and execution of acceptance testing using vacuum and thermal vacuum chambers
- Collaborate with engineering, manufacturing, and mission assurance team members to contribute to manufacturability and assembly improvements
- Manage your workspace and work towards making daily improvements
- Communicate early and often the status of builds and blockers that arise
- Troubleshoot discrepancies by working with mission assurance and engineering to investigate discrepancies and determine root cause.
- Perform other manufacturing or assembly support tasks as required.
Why We Value You
- 2+ years of experience in electro-mechanical assembly, integration or mechanical assembly experience
- Experience working in a cleanroom environment utilizing industry standard ESD practices (equivalent to ESD S20.20 or MIL-STD 1686)
- Experience contributing to the development of work instructions and production standards
- Ability to effectively communicate with engineering team
- Must be able to work overtime (including weekends) as required
- Required to assist or train other technicians
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs unassisted
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated experience improving processes with intent and thought
- You are a trusted and reliable teammate who we can count on for help on critical projects
- You actively communicate across the organization between Supply Chain, Engineering, Production, etc. to remove production blockers
- Experience working in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment highly desired
- You undertake projects and tasks with an attention to detail coupled with a sense of urgency
- Knowledge or experience in general Environmental Testing in a Space or Defense manufacturing environment
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.