Manager, Production - Spacecraft Engine
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, September 15, 2023
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
The Astra Production Manager of Spacecraft Engines is an instrumental position in leading the technician team in the production and test of spacecraft engines and components. This must be a transformational leader, moving Astra Manufacturing into the future of streamlined efficiency and execution.
The position reports to the Sr. Director of Operations - Spacecraft Engine. The successful candidate is responsible for ensuring that all satellite production milestones are accomplished.
You will identify organizational staffing and capital requirements, develop technical/cost proposals, drive affordability, standardize procedures and processes, and work closely with other cross-functional teams, including but not limited to program management, engineering, production, and senior leadership.
Proven competence in managing day-to-day operations of a multi-team site, including task organization, staff development, cost, and schedule management. Demonstrated abilities to build diverse and inclusive teams with high levels of engagement, including mentoring and coaching, are a must.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated success in influencing the direction of the Astra Spacecraft Engine transformational efforts in a production environment, including identifying and championing change within the organization to achieve a more competitive advantage for the business.
How You'll Fulfill Your Mission
- Lead a world class team of builders, technicians, and engineering technicians by example.
- Partner with engineering leaders and individual contributors who design space craft components and engines to make sure the product can be built and scaled.
- Properly execute production needs within weekly-monthly goals.
- Manage module production schedules.
- Propose and incorporate continuous improvements for product quality, cost, and throughput.
- Identify and create documentation, drive root cause analysis, and corrective action of build and test anomalies.
- Maintain production plan capable of identifying accurate delivery dates across multiple Satellite Programs.
- Develop, maintain, and communicate production metrics.
- Assure maximum lab equipment uptime by identifying issues early on and coordinating calibration, repair, and maintenance.
- Ensure appropriate inventory levels and notify the supply chain when stock needs replenishment to ensure on-time delivery of goods.
- Track and categorize all costs related to production.
- Perform strategic hiring to grow the current team to meet future production goals, and evaluate the teams’ skills and talents against Company needs.
- Establish a strong culture of ownership, safety and continuous improvement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 5+ years’ experience as a production lead or production project manager in medium/low volume manufacturing environments with a demonstrated reputation for delivering unique, high-complexity hardware
- Ability to interface seamlessly with all levels of the organization
- Experience with electromechanical assembly, or spacecraft/spacecraft hardware manufacturing
- Adept in creating and following procedures to build intricate mechanical/electrical assemblies
- Familiarity with Aerospace Quality standards (ISO9000, AS9100) and space hardware handling practices
- Highly proficient with MS Office suite, including Word, Excel, JIRA and PowerPoint
- Skilled in using calipers & micrometers to perform conformance inspection of mechanical structures
- Capable of using a variety of hand tools, including torque wrenches, crimping tools, epoxy applicators, tap & die sets, deburring tools, rotary tools, drill press, bandsaw, etc.
- Proficient with a variety of testing equipment, including power supplies, DC loads, DAQs, test harnesses
- Provide input to production plans capable of identifying accurate component delivery dates across multiple Satellite Programs
- Demonstrated experience with rapid development projects
- Familiarization with cleanroom and ESD precautionary measures
- Demonstrated teamwork both within function and cross function
- Proven exceptional strategic communication skills, both written, verbal, and presentation, to effectively communicate business cases to all levels of peers, suppliers, as well as program and executive management, with an ability to persuade and motivate action
- Meticulous attention to detail and documentation
- Proven ability to deliver on time and on-budget
- Demonstrate employee management experience and proficiency in task management to meet required deadlines
- Ability to read & understand mechanical drawings
- Degree in Mechanical, Manufacturing, Industrial Engineering or similar technical field
- Proficient in CAD / PDM / PLM systems
- Experience with checkout & test of integrated systems
- Master’s degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, Math, or related technical discipline
- Proficiency in project scheduling software, such as MS Project
- Hands-on technical experience with spacecraft or satellite-related systems
- Six Sigma Green or Black Belt highly preferred
- Experienced working in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.