Senior Harness Engineer, Space Products
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2023
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
The space products engineering team is producing low-cost, reliable, highly efficient, Hall-effect thruster propulsion systems for modern satellites and spacecraft. Our thrusters will be used in Low Earth Orbit, Medium Earth Orbit, Geostationary Orbit, Lunar missions, and beyond. The team includes talented engineers who have designed and launched into orbit over 1,000 satellites over the course of their careers. Comprehensive design, prototype production, qualification, and acceptance tests are conducted within our Alameda and Sunnyvale facilities.
You will work with an interdisciplinary team of mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, test engineers and production to bring designs to life. This position will serve as a Harness Engineer for the Space Products group. The Harness Engineer is responsible for the full life cycle from requirements derivation, concept, design, manufacture, integration and test. New programs come in frequently. You will be a primary contributor on a team that develops new systems/modules and launches them into orbit.
How You'll Fulfill Your Mission
- Act as the Harness Responsible Engineer on 1 or multiple programs
- Work cross functionally with Mechanical, Thermal, and Electrical engineers to define harness requirements, material and connector selection
- Design routing, mechanical layout, Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) details, etc.
- Draft and review manufacturing and assembly drawings
- Create and maintain product and system level wiring diagrams and schematics
- Perform testing such as pin-to-pin isolation, grounding, and continuity checks
- Troubleshoot development and production issues as they arise
- Work in a hands-on design, production, and testing environment
Why We Value You
- You have a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related technical field
- 5+ years' professional experience with space harness engineering (Rapid Harness or similar tool) or other electromechanical design for aerospace applications
- 3+ years' experience with NX or equivalent mechanical design / CAD software and Teamcenter or equivalent PLM software
- Possess an in-depth understanding of wire harness design and manufacturing processes
- Experience with any of the following specifications: IPC/WHMA-A-620, NASA-STD-8739.4 and 8739.6, NASA-STD-6016, SAE AS22759, J-STD-001, Mil-PRF-31032, IPC-6013, IPC-2221, or IPC-2223
- Ability to interpret and create complex electrical wiring diagrams
- Hands on experience testing and troubleshooting complex wiring issues by getting to root cause and providing corrective action
- Advanced degree (Master’s or PhD) in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related technical discipline
- 8+ years of industry experience with space harness engineering
- Experience developing hardware that has been to space, and which successfully operated as intended
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.