Systems Engineer - Multidisciplinary Optimization (MDO), Space Products
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2023
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
We are seeking a talented and experienced Systems Engineer with a focus on multi-disciplinary optimization to join our team in the development of cutting-edge spacecraft systems, especially for electric propulsion systems. In this role, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining high-fidelity end-to-end models of spacecraft systems, using these models to conduct system optimization and requirements definition and verification, and contributing to the design of current, next-generation, and future systems. You will work closely with cross-functional teams to ensure that all aspects of the system design are integrated, tested, and validated to meet customer requirements.
This is a unique opportunity to deploy MDO techniques for optimizing spacecraft propulsion systems. Your contributions will be launched into orbit soon!
How You'll Fulfill Your Mission
- Develop and maintain high-fidelity end-to-end models of spacecraft systems (specifically propulsion systems), including mechanical, electrical, and software systems.
- Use these models to conduct system optimization, verifying that all systems meet performance, reliability, and cost requirements.
- Work with cross-functional teams, including mechanical, electrical, and software engineers, to ensure that all systems are integrated and validated.
- Design experiments and conduct hands-on testing to improve system models.
- Participate and guide system design and development at all stages of the development lifecycle.
- Use multi-disciplinary optimization techniques to drive innovation and improve system performance.
- Conduct trade studies and analyses to determine the optimal design of current, next-generation, and future systems.
- Define, document, and maintain system requirements, interfaces, and architectures.
- Collaborate with suppliers, customers, and cross-functional teams to ensure that system requirements are met.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest industry developments and incorporate new technologies into the design and development of spacecraft systems.
Why We Value You
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in aerospace, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or another technical field
- 5+ years of experience in systems engineering for spacecraft electric propulsion, or aerospace systems, with a focus on multi-disciplinary optimization.
- Experience working with electrical propulsion & power systems
- Experience with aerospace qualification and acceptance testing programs
- Experience in system performance and parametric modeling
- Hands-on hardware test and integration experience
- Domain knowledge of system engineering, integration & test
- Experience with systems engineering tools such as JAMA, DOORS, DNG, or similar
- MS or PhD in engineering or another technical field relevant to space products or satellites
- Experience with interfacing with customers
- Experience in reliability, maintainability, and supportability analysis and execution
- Experience with high vacuum systems
- Experience with high-pressure pneumatics
- System Safety analysis experience including Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis, and Functional Hazard Analysis
- Demonstrated configuration management experience
- Experience in high-growth/startup environments
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.