Systems Engineer - Software and Data, Space Products
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2023
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Systems Engineer with a strong focus on software and data science techniques to join our team of experts in the design and development of cutting-edge spacecraft systems, especially electric propulsion systems. In this role, you will be responsible for using machine learning, data analysis, and other software and data science techniques to optimize system performance, extract trends, and patterns from data, and refine testing and development strategies. You will also contribute to logic and firmware development of the power processing unit in a manner that optimizes at the system level. You will work closely with cross-functional teams to ensure that all aspects of the system design are integrated, tested, and validated to meet customer requirements.
This is a unique opportunity to deploy leading-edge data science techniques for spacecraft systems. Your contributions will be launched into orbit soon!
How You'll Fulfill Your Mission
- Design and develop spacecraft systems, including mechanical, electrical, and software systems, ensuring they meet all performance and reliability requirements.
- Utilize machine learning and data analysis techniques to optimize system performance and extract trends and patterns from data.
- Use data science techniques to identify process improvement opportunities and refine testing and development strategies.
- Work closely with software/firmware teams for the development, optimization, testing, and verification of power processing units. Understand the impact on the whole system and create models/traceability to optimize code and parameters.
- Work closely with experimental design and test teams to capture data for system improvement.
- Develop and implement system-level testing procedures to validate that the systems meet requirements, incorporating insights from data analysis/machine learning inference strategies.
- Participate and guide system design and development at all stages of the development lifecycle.
- Define, document, and maintain system requirements, interfaces, and architectures.
- Collaborate with suppliers, customers, and cross-functional teams to ensure that system requirements are met.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest industry developments and incorporate new technologies into the design and development of spacecraft systems.
Why We Value You
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in aerospace, robotics, systems, or software engineering, data science, or another technical field
- 5+ years of experience in systems engineering for spacecraft or aerospace systems, with a focus on software and data science techniques
- Strong knowledge of machine learning and data analysis techniques
- Strong software development skills including coding. Python, Embedded C, C++, etc.
- Experience with aerospace qualification and acceptance testing programs.
- Experience in system performance and parametric modeling.
- MS or PhD in engineering or another technical field relevant to space products or satellites
- Experience with interfacing with customers
- Experience in reliability, maintainability, and supportability analysis and execution
- Experience with high vacuum systems
- Experience with high-pressure pneumatics
- System Safety analysis experience including Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis, and Functional Hazard Analysis
- Demonstrated configuration management experience
- Experience in high-growth / startup environments
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.