Senior Mechanical Engineer, Space Products
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2023
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
The space products engineering team is producing low-cost, reliable, highly efficient, Hall-effect thruster propulsion systems for modern satellites and spacecraft. Our thrusters will be used in Low Earth Orbit, Medium Earth Orbit, Geostationary Orbit, Lunar missions, and beyond. The team includes talented engineers who have designed and launched into orbit over 1,000 satellites over the course of their careers. Comprehensive design, prototype production, qualification, and acceptance tests are conducted within our Alameda and Sunnyvale facilities.
You will work with an interdisciplinary team of mechanical engineers, systems engineers, propulsion engineers, electrical engineers, and analysts to bring designs to life. This position will serve as a Mechanical Design Engineer for the Space Products group. New programs come in frequently. You will be a primary contributor on a team that develops new systems/modules and launches them into orbit.
How You'll Fulfill Your Mission
- Design of modules/assemblies, structures, pneumatics, tanks, tubing, harnessing/wiring layout
- Design of test, assembly, & inspection fixtures
- Generate 3-D models, fully dimensioned drawings, and interface control documents per ASME Y14.5 GD&T standards
- Document & update testing procedures, test & analysis results, inspection reports, FMEAs, requirement documents, work instructions, etc.
- Build & render system layouts using NX for customer evaluation and proposals
- Ensure best practices in our Product Data Management system including design documentation, process documentation, inspection, and quality control
- Support unit-level and module-level qualification builds and test campaigns
- Deliver efficient designs capable of high-volume production throughput
- Set, implement, and maintain schedules and budgets to ensure project completion
Why We Value You
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or related technical discipline
- You have 5+ years of professional experience in mechanical design and analysis
- You have 5+ years of design experience using CAD & PLM tools (Siemens NX / Teamcenter preferred)
- You have 5+ years of hands-on fabrication, assembly, and/or testing experience
- You have a strong understanding of various manufacturing processes
- You have strong mechanical engineering fundamentals
- You can critically analyze problems and are excited by new design challenges
- You have demonstrated ability of working with structural and thermal analysts symbiotically to create efficient designs that satisfy broad requirements
- You are self-motivated and have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced degree (Master’s or PhD) in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or related technical discipline
- You have 8+ years of professional experience in mechanical design
- Experience developing hardware that has been to space, and which successfully operated as intended
- Experience with electronics packaging
- Experience with high-pressure pneumatics/fluid management systems and designs including latch valves, piezo valves, and regulators
- Experience designing high-temperature components
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis (NASTRAN preferred)
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.