Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, November 16, 2023
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
The Astra Spacecraft Engine (ASE) Test Team is responsible for verifying that flight hardware will successfully operate in space. We execute testing for increasingly high-throughput production of our thruster modules and related subsystems, plus continual development testing for new programs and capabilities. To make this all happen, we also develop and operate state-of-the-art facilities for testing plasma thrusters in conditions that simulate the space and launch environment - high vacuum, thermal, vibration, and shock.
As a Test Technician, your role will be to execute testing of the Astra Spacecraft Engine (ASE) thruster modules and related subsystems. You will test thrusters, propellant feed systems, power electronics, and other subsystems and components. You'll operate and maintain test facilities that mimic the conditions of launch and space - large vacuum chambers, vibration tables, thermal chambers, and more.
We are constantly growing and evolving, and you will help develop and fabricate new test support equipment.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be passionate, thoughtful, goal-oriented, and have a healthy sense of humor. Someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to amplify a growing technical and test-operations-focused team with a track record of success. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast-paced, competitive environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with other key groups.
How You'll Fulfill Your Mission
- Safety: Astra’s first priority is safety, and Test involves hazards from high pressures to heavy lifting. You will predict, monitor, and mitigate these hazards in order to minimize risks and prevent injuries.
- Build and Create: Fabricate, assemble, and repair hardware/equipment needed for test operations, using hand tools, fabrication techniques, and heavy-lift machinery if needed.
- Test and Operate: Prepare and operate test articles, vacuum chambers, and test equipment. Operate flight hardware. Operate and maintain ancillary equipment to keep the facility running.
Why We Value You
- You have some experience working in hazardous environments, and value safety
- 2+ years of experience in electrical/mechanical fabrication, build, test, or repair
- You can safely handle everything from forklift operations to fragile diagnostics equipment
- Your work, tools, and area are organized and clean
- Enjoy problem solving and diagnostics
- Eager to learn new skills
- Proficient computer skills
- Experience running electrical, mechanical, or software tests
- Experience handling spaceflight hardware
- Experience with compression fittings
- Experience with vacuum systems
- Experience working with compressed gases
- Must be able to stand, bend, stoop, crawl, and work in tight spaces for extended periods of time
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.