Staff Mechanical Engineer, Ground Systems Mechanisms
Alameda, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2024
Astra’s mission is to Improve Life on Earth from Space® by creating a healthier and more connected planet. Today, Astra offers one of the lowest cost-per-launch dedicated orbital launch services of any operational launch provider in the world, and one of the industry’s first flight-proven electric propulsion systems for satellites, Astra Spacecraft Engine™. Astra delivered its first commercial launch to low Earth orbit in 2021, making it the fastest company in history to reach this milestone, just five years after it was founded in 2016. Astra (NASDAQ: ASTR) was the first space launch company to be publicly traded on Nasdaq.
The Ground System Structures Team is a cross-functional group of engineers working to design and improve our ground support equipment. We develop the structures necessary to transport, erect, hold down and release an orbital class rocket. Our team touches all aspects of system design including research and concept development, detailed design, analysis, and drawings. The team is also responsible for the development of qualification test plans and supporting testing and launch operations.
Our deployable ground system can be built and commissioned in Alameda, CA, then deployed anywhere in the world and assembled in a matter of days. Astra's ground system equipment is specifically designed to enable a high launch cadence, allowing Astra to lead the way to daily access to space for the first time in human history.
As a Staff Mechanical Engineer of Ground Systems Mechanisms at Astra, you will be expected to contribute in multiple mechanical engineering capacities. Responsibilities require integration of multiple disciplines outside of mechanical engineering and collaboration with technical staff, program managers and engineering management.
The Staff Mechanical Engineer may be responsible for decisions that have an extended impact on outcomes where erroneous decisions could result in critical delays and modifications to programs.
How You’ll Fulfill Your Mission
- Responsible for mechanical design of mechanisms used in the ground system for release systems, hydraulics, transportation, assembly and operation.
- Perform structural design and configuration tasks necessary to deliver high performance ground system and transport equipment.
- Work seamlessly across a matrixed organization of engineering disciplines.
- Perform first order layout and mass properties analyses.
- Identify processes, and facilities necessary to deliver on time.
- Design and develop first-order structural and kinematic models in support of design performance predictions.
- Produce part and assembly drawings to facilitate Assembly, Test, and Launch Operations.
- Prepare and deliver written and oral technical presentations to engineering peers, leaders, and customers.
- Own and report on module schedule, cost, and deliverables.
- Develop, document, and manage required manufacturing processes.
Why We Value You
- 5+ years of experience with moving mechanisms, high speed robotics, performance suspension design, hydraulics, or a combination of them
- 5+ years of experience with Siemens NX or equivalent 3D CAD package
- Direct experience designing release mechanisms, high speed robotics, kinematic models, performance suspension, actuators, linkages or the like
- Demonstrate clear communication and organizational skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or a related field
- Advanced degree (Master’s or PhD) in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or related technical discipline
- 8+ years of industry experience with high speed moving mechanisms
- 5+ years of industry experience with mission critical flight hardware
- Experience with PLM (Teamcenter or similar)
ITAR Requirements: This position requires compliance with U.S. Government space technology trade restrictions, specifically the International Trafficking in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and additional regulations governing satellite, launch vehicle, missile, and other related technologies. All jobs restricted by these regulations will be contingent upon the applicant’s status as a documented U.S. Person or their ability to receive a trade license from the cognizant government agency; in addition to any required company background checks and in compliance with applicable U.S. and California laws. Similarly, positions requiring the ability to work on government contracts or a security clearance are also contingent upon the applicants ability to receive the appropriate clearance and be allowed to work on U.S. government contracts.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Astra, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
San Francisco Applicants: Astra will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.