Senior Staff Engineer, Electrical Design
Job Type: Permanent - Full Time
Travel Required: Up to 25%
Remote Work Available: No - Hybrid Schedule
Renesas is one of the top global semiconductor companies in the world. We strive to develop a safer, healthier, greener, and smarter world, and our goal is to make every endpoint intelligent by offering product solutions in the automotive, industrial, infrastructure and IoT markets. Our robust product portfolio includes world-leading MCUs, SoCs, analog and power products, plus Winning Combination solutions that curate these complementary products. We are a key supplier to the world’s leading manufacturers of the electronics you rely on every day; you may not see our products, but they are all around you.
Renesas employs roughly 21,000 people in more than 30 countries worldwide. As a global team, our employees actively embody the Renesas Culture, our guiding principles based on five key elements: Transparent, Agile, Global, Innovative, and Entrepreneurial. Renesas believes in, and has a commitment to, diversity and inclusion, with initiatives and a leadership team dedicated to its resources and values. At Renesas, we want to build a sustainable future where technology helps make our lives easier. Join us and build your future by being part of what’s next in electronics and the world.
Location: Onsite in Durham, NC
Renesas Electronics Americas (REA) is a dynamic, multi-cultural tech company where employees can learn, mentor, and thrive. REA brings together the strong financial foundation of a multi-billion dollar global operation and the flexibility and velocity of a smaller organization. We are developing technologies for the latest advances in mobile computing, secured connected devices, autonomous driving, smart homes and factories, and more. Our solutions are at the heart of products developed by major innovators around the world. Join us and be part of what’s next in electronics.
This is an opportunity to join a top-notch Design Team with Renesas’ leading Mobile and ITO product line. As part of one of Renesas’ most prominent Design Groups, this Sr. Staff Design Engineer will work on next-generation IC products for analog and power applications. Candidates should have knowledge in the analog design of LDOs, precision amplifiers, oscillators, bandgap references, switched-capacitor circuits, analog filters, A/D-D/A data converters, comparator, bandgap, DAC, ADC, and current mirrors. Candidates should have a good understanding of device parasitic and cross-sections. Process and detailed understanding of layout tradeoffs are also required. Verilog/RTL design experience is a plus. Analog and Mixed-signal verification experience is desired. Good communication skills are required. Design experience in CMOS/BICMOS is required. Experience working with small geometry BCD processes is a plus.
The candidate will architect and design complex chips that include various analog and digital control circuitry. The Designer will interface with layout, verification, test, and Application engineers to successfully bring new products from initial concept through release to production. The Designer may lead the discussions of technical issues, and other design aspects with internal teams and with customers who will draft and deliver documents to internal and customer teams.
We are looking for a Senior Staff Analog Designer with experience in several aspects of Analog signal conditioning, ADC conversion, and digital signal processing. Recent designs in submicron processes and a detailed understanding of layout tradeoffs are a must. Must be able to successively collaborate with a team and conduct thorough design reviews. Having a working knowledge of Mixed-Signal Cadence tools and parasitic parameter extraction is a plus. An analytical approach to problem-solving is highly required. These are leading-edge technology products and provide challenging learning opportunities. Knowledge of end applications is a plus.
Core Responsibilities / Essential Functions
- Generate transistor-level design of analog/power circuits for brand new and derivative complex power management chips that may include multiple power handling modules along with synthesized digital circuitry
- Specification and design of CMOS/BCD analog and power circuits meeting performance, area, power, and timescale constraints
- Interface with layout, verification, test, product, and application engineers to successfully bring new products from initial concept through release to production
- Participate in discussions and draft documents of technical issues and other design aspects with internal teams and customers
- Instigate regular peer reviews with other analog engineers
- Guide the layout of circuit blocks for high-speed performance and precision operations
- Run block-level and top-level mixed-mode simulations to meet datasheet parameters
- BSEE (MSEE/Ph.D. preferred) with 12 (10/7 preferred) years of experience in Analog/Mixed-signal product development.
- Must have a design experience with some of the following: LDOs, precision amplifiers, oscillators, bandgap references, switched-capacitor circuits, analog filters, A/D-D/A data converters, system-level simulations.
- Good communication skills are required.
- Design experience in CMOS/BICMOS is required. Experience working with small geometry BCD processes is a plus
- Design experience in CMOS/BICMOS
- Experience working with small geometry BCD processes is a plus
- Advanced knowledge of Mixed-Signal Cadence tools and parasitic extraction is preferred
- Must have written and verbal cross-functional communication skills
Renesas Electronics America is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to celebrating diversity and fostering a work environment free of discrimination on the basis of sex, race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military status, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.