Principal Digital Design Engineer
Job Title: Principal Digital Design Engineer
Location: Swindon, United Kingdom / Hybrid position
Career Level: Advanced Professional
Job Purpose and Dimensions:
Interpreting requirement specifications to develop digital designs from the block level to top-level system for Renesas’ mixed-signal IC products. RTL design for low power products. Technical leadership of projects/ lead designer for major blocks, ensuring designs are successfully guided into production. Leading innovation of designs and methodologies for power management. Design verification and developing advanced verification methodologies.
• Ensuring digital development process is state-of-the-art and achieves budget, schedule and project deliverable goals.
• Design of optimized digital blocks meeting functional, cost and low power constraints and ensure spec compliance.
• Ownership of the digital design process for projects to conform to Renesas’ design process.
• Take technical leadership for complex sub-systems or for complete digital system and drive from specification to production ramp. Review TCL scripts and design constraints to perform synthesis, DFT insertion and static timing analysis.
• Support DFT strategy and implementation and verify test case development.
• Drive digital design verification, verification planning, feature extraction and verification test case development.
• Interface with P & R for digital hand-off and post layout verification.
• Develop test vectors for production test.
• Instigate regular peer review meetings with Digital Design Engineers. Follow and improve procedures and design practises defined by internal and customer-induced guidelines.
• Co-ordinate work-around solutions where necessary to overcome device errata including documentation.
• Support RFQ process where necessary.
• Coach and mentor less experience team members.
• Other specific tasks as deemed reasonable by your manager some of which will be set during annual performance review.
Key Performance Measures:
• Digital system/ block specification derived from customer or system architect requirements complete, system/architecture and design strategy defined to fulfil cost, area and power requirements. Re-use considerations where applied during the whole specification process.
• Complex, innovative digital systems are satisfying customer requirements, and mature for profitable mass production.
• Document and log all design work.
• Quality of mentoring measured through outcomes in individual and team performance.
• Accurate documentation and log all design work.
• Commercial approach to chip design and architecture (reuse vs innovation).
• Uses judgement within defined design guidelines and PDP to determine best action.
• Drives and implements continuous improvement in own and Renesas procedures, methodologies and processes.
• Raises issues in a timely manner and delivers commercial solution.
• Quality of design and simulation in line with expectations in Principal accountabilities.
• Awareness of “TAGIE” and follow principals throughout work.
• Demonstrates good team spirit both in own team and cross functional teams.
• Proactively seeks improvements in technical and non-technical skills and knowledge through self-development, course attendance and on the job training.
• Significant contribution to projects, programs and business initiatives through creativity and ingenuity.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
• Typically 8 – 12 years of experience
• Proven ability to resolve complex digital design issues in a creative and effective way
• Fluent in either (System) Verilog or VHDL RTL coding and ASIC design methodology.
• Proven ability to optimize and develop design architecture from chip inception through to compliant netlist
• Proficiency in developing block and top-level timing constraints for STA and P & R handoff
• Expert in low-power digital design techniques
• Capable of self-teaching in emerging technologies (add in all)
• Advanced training, study and experience allowing work on advanced complex technical projects.
• Ability to select most appropriate methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for maximizing results
• Ability to solve complex issues in creative, commercial and effective ways
• Proven ability to lead and co-ordinate projects, from specification to mass production
• Ability to train and mentor less experienced team members
• Results-oriented and able to deliver on-time under a tight schedule
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
• Flexible to undertake occasional international travel at short notice
• Degree level qualification in Electronics Engineering or a related discipline typically required.
• Senior internal and external colleagues in own area of expertise
• Internal interaction with the PMIC/ASIC design team, Test department and Product Engineering
• External interaction with Renesas customers
• Interaction with business unit and PMO
Renesas Electronics Corporation (TSE: 6723) empowers a safer, smarter and more sustainable future where technology helps make our lives easier. A leading global provider of microcontrollers, Renesas combines our expertise in embedded processing, analog, power and connectivity to deliver complete semiconductor solutions. These Winning Combinations accelerate time to market for automotive, industrial, infrastructure and IoT applications, enabling billions of connected, intelligent devices that enhance the way people work and live. Learn more at renesas.com. Follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.
Renesas’ mission, To Make Our Lives Easier, is underpinned by our company culture, TAGIE. TAGIE stands for Transparent, Agile, Global, Innovative and Entrepreneurial. Our goal is to embed this unique culture in everything we do to succeed as a company and create trust with our diverse colleagues, customers and stakeholders.
We are committed to creating a diverse culture where everyone is included and feels a sense of belonging. For more information, please read our Diversity & Inclusion Statement.