Staff Software Engineer
What you bring to Renesas:
The System and Solution Team (SST) is chartered to help our sales organization develop solutions for our customer base using the entire portfolio of Renesas products. We are a global and multi-disciplinary team with in-depth knowledge of our broad portfolio ranging from microcontrollers and microprocessors, connectivity, memory, analog, power and everything in between. SST provides solutions to customers ranging from block diagrams and architectures all the way to working proof of concept designs, all depending on what level of integration and support a customer requires.
SST is seeking a motivated and experienced Staff Software Engineer to take our solutions to the next level. This person will play a pivotal role in the design, documentation and implementation of robust software and firmware solutions covering a wide range of devices and end applications. You will be a senior developer who will transform pieces of silicon on a PCB and make them truly come to life for our customers with innovative features and capabilities. You have the vision and know-how that a total solution is not just about software running on a microcontroller, but also encompasses mobile applications, cloud capabilities like AI and ML, and being agile to keep up with an ever changing landscape of new programming paradigms. In SST, we solve customer technical challenges starting from the solution level going down to the device level. Our software solutions should follow the same path.
You will be a key driver of designing and developing next generation key embedded system solutions. Within SST, we have the power and capability to make these a reality in the best interest of our customers. We are all about improving the customer experience, which in many cases starts with software. Having a good software out of box experience is monumental to the overall SST philosophy.
What You’ll Do
- Design, Develop and document embedded system software solutions for connected IoT applications based on Renesas MCU hardware features and low-level firmware.
- Develop, debug and test firmware drivers, middleware and integrate 3rd party code into Renesas Flexible Software Package.
- Utilize firmware development SDLC processes and best practices to drive high performance and high-quality code and solutions.
- Work with cross-disciplinary team to define and implement embedded software solutions.
Skills you’ll need:
- B.S. required (M.S. preferred) in electrical/electronics/computer engineering or computer science disciplines
- Broad understanding of the embedded microcontroller and microprocessing space required (Arm Cortex-A, Cortex-M, RX, RL78, MIPS, RISC-V)
- 5+ years of experience in embedded firmware development.
- Expert in embedded C with strong fundamental knowledge of programming methodologies for low resource microcontroller devices.
- Hands on experience in board bring-up, testing and debugging skills for ARM Cortex-M based systems.
- Experience with wired and wireless networking technologies including Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth/LE, LTE Cat-M1/NB-IoT) including broad understanding of common networking stacks and flows (HTTP, TCP/IP, UDP, MQTT) including their secured counterparts.
- Experience in common protocols found on modern MCUs (UART, I2C, SPI, USB host/device, Ethernet, graphics controllers, DMA, ADC/DACs, timers)
- Past experience in agile CI/CD workflows (project tracking in JIRA and Github using Jenkins workflows or similar technologies)
- Debugging skills with tools like gdb, J-Link, Ozone, protocol analyzers (CATC, Ellisys, Saleae)
- Experience in Python for scripting and automation, some experience with DevOps tools and infrastructure.
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to clearly articulate complex software topics based on sound engineering fundamentals
- Well organized with attention to detail, accuracy and target audience
- Proficient in MS Office (PowerPoint, Excel)
You will stand out if you can also:
- Broad understanding of IoT cloud connected solutions on AWS, Azure and Google
- Mobile (Android and IOS) application development a plus
- Knowledge on Yocto-based embedded Linux distribution, Embedded Linux kernel driver development.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.