Staff System Engineer
Job Title: Staff System Engineer
Reports To: Manager, Design Engineering
About the team: Renesas Electronics Americas (REA) is a dynamic, multi-cultural tech company where employees can learn, mentor, and thrive. REA brings together the strong financial foundation of a multi-billion dollar global operation and the flexibility and velocity of a smaller organization. We are developing technologies for the latest advances in mobile computing, secured connected devices, autonomous driving, smart homes and factories and more. Our solutions are at the heart of products developed by the major innovators around the world. Join us and be part of what’s next in electronics.
What you bring to Renesas:
The System and Solution Team (SST) is chartered to help our sales organization develop solutions for our customer base using the entire portfolio of Renesas products. We are a global and multi-disciplinary team with in-depth knowledge of our broad portfolio ranging from microcontrollers and microprocessors, connectivity, memory, analog, power, and everything in between. SST provides solutions to customers ranging from block diagrams and architectures all the way to working proof of concept designs, all depending on what level of integration and support a customer requires.
SST is seeking a motivated and experienced Staff System Engineer to take our solutions to the next level. This person will play a pivotal role in the design, documentation, and implementation of robust hardware and firmware solutions covering a wide range of devices and end applications. You will be a senior developer who will transform a wide portfolio of devices into system level solutions, building out “proof of concept” hardware and making them come to life for our customers with innovative features and capabilities. You have the vision and know-how that a total solution is not just about piecing hardware components together but also encompasses proper schematic and layout design, firmware, and higher-level software. In SST, we solve customer technical challenges starting from the solution level and going down to the device level.
You will be a key driver of designing and developing next generation key embedded system solutions. Within SST, we have the power and capability to make these a reality in the best interest of our customers. We are all about improving the customer experience, starting with the hardware, and ending with the software bringing the design to life. Having a good “out of box experience” is monumental to the overall SST philosophy.
What You’ll Do
- Design, develop, and document embedded system solutions based on the Renesas portfolio. This includes MCU, MPU, power devices, RF products, wireless connectivity products, and sensors.
- Debug hardware solutions using industry best practices for board operation, reliability, and productization.
- Productize Proof of Concept solutions working with other global internal teams and select external partners.
- Develop, debug, and test firmware drivers, middleware, and application code.
- Develop demos and application projects, potentially integrating 3rd party code and solutions.
- Utilize best practices and processes to develop and document quality board designs and software solutions.
- Work with marketing and sales teams to effectively promote solutions to our global customer base.
Skills you’ll need:
- B.S. required (M.S. preferred) in electrical/electronics/computer engineering disciplines
- 10+ years of experience in embedded solution development including hardware and firmware. In lieu of a degree, 15+ years of relative experience will be considered.
- Broad understanding of the embedded microcontroller, microprocessor, and semiconductor space required (Arm Cortex-A, Cortex-M, RX, RL78, MIPS, RISC-V, embedded sensors, power devices, wireless connectivity)
- Fluent in reading and understanding schematic design files.
- Fundamental knowledge of embedded C including programming methodologies for low-resource microcontroller devices.
- Hands-on experience in board bring-up, testing, and debugging skills. Adept at using common lab bench equipment (power supplies, spectrum analyzers, protocol tracers, oscilloscopes)
- Software debugging skills with tools like gdb, J-Link, Ozone, and protocol analyzers (CATC, Ellisys, Saleae)
- Experience in common interfaces and protocols found in modern embedded systems (UART, I2C, SPI, USB host/device, Ethernet, graphics controllers, DMA, ADC/DACs, timers)
- Past experience in agile CI/CD workflows (project tracking in JIRA and Github using Jenkins workflows or similar technologies).
- Experience in Python for scripting and automation.
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to clearly articulate system solutions based on sound engineering fundamentals.
- Well-organized with attention to detail, accuracy, and target audience.
- Proficient in MS Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Visio).
You will stand out if you also have:
- Prior experience with Renesas embedded product portfolio
- Experience with wired and wireless networking technologies is a plus. This includes Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth/LE, NFC, LTE Cat-M1/NB-IoT) including a broad understanding of common networking stacks and flows (HTTP, TCP/IP, UDP, MQTT) including their secured counterparts.
- Prior hardware design and layout work in CAD tools like Altium, OrCAD, or Cadence Allegro.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.