Mgr, Software Architecture
Looking for a driven, enthusiastic team player to manage a Software Architecture team in the Connectivity Solutions Division (CSD). You will be leading an expert team of Software Architects as well as providing an individual contribution to the Software Architecture of the CSD group, with a focus on Low Power Connectivity – Data and Audio (LPC-DA) products. Please apply if you are up for this exciting challenge!
- Manager for team of 7-12 Software Architects (direct reports).
- Hands on involvement in Software Architecture with focus on Low Power
- Connectivity – Data and Audio (LPC-DA) Product Line
- Shared responsibility for Architectural SW design for ~40-50MUSD annual R&D developments.
- Shared responsibility for ~200-250MUSD future customer revenue.
- Works in close collaboration with other SW and HW system architects to deliver optimal total system solution.
- Up to 20% travel expected for customer visits, team meetings, Bluetooth SIG meetings and other Renesas site meetings related to job responsibilities.
- Task supervision and allocation (providing work breakdown).
- Team’s on-time and correct delivery of Specifications, Feasibility and other outputs.
- Technically supervise Software Architecture definition for (mostly) LPC-DA Products and IP-subsystem Software definition. IP-subsystems contain specific functionality (such as Bluetooth) which is re-used across CSD products.
- Make sure applicable processes are followed by team and ensure proper documentation. Especially important are the Architect deliverables and Way of Working within the Product Development Process.
- Identify improvements in Way of Working, ensure use of best practice methods.
- Mentoring and guiding team, individual as well as team development planning (including skill set mapping, building on strengths, addressing weaknesses, …).
- Have regular 1-on-1’s with each team member.
- Build up and document knowledge base around Software Architecture team.
- Annual performance management including salary and bonus review
- Approve Time Off and Travel Requests.
- Drive hiring process and onboarding (including but not limited to probation reviews, interviewing, job offers and selecting candidates)
Hands on Software Architect work:
- Responsible for translating customer and marketing input to Software specifications with a competitive advantage in the market. Deliver clear specifications of software architecture to SDK development team.
- Focus on Software for LPC-DA Products, deeply embedded devices running either baremetal or (Free)RTOS operating systems including various connectivity options (Bluetooth Classic, Bluetooth LE, 15.4, …) and/or Audio Software.
- Define key performance indicators (footprint, CPU utilization, …).
- Perform feasibility studies and analyse new Software concepts or IP.
- Key contributor to Dialog’s software products roadmap definition.
- Support marketing activities and participate at customer meetings to help understand customer needs and identify improvements and evolutions needed in the Software.
- Scanning of related technologies and market trends; competitive SW architecture analysis.
- Help drive Renesas SW initiatives through initiation of new ideas, work proposals and participation in working groups.
Key performance measures:
- Manage team allocation, preventing overload situations and forecasting required team size in the future.
- Mentor the team, mapping team skillset plus improvement opportunities and taking appropriate action.
- Identifying and driving most impactful improvements in Way of Working.
- Execute People Management tasks such as Performance Management and Goal Setting, Time Off and Travel approvals, hiring process support and so on.
- On time delivery of Specifications, Feasibility and other outputs with the right quality level (performance, risk, time). Both for the Software Architect Team as well as an individual contributor.
- Acceptance by (internal) customer of above outputs.
- Establishing and maintaining a good relation to the relevant experts and stakeholders, both internally and at our customers.
Defined goals (performance objectives, commitment fulfilment)
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Team player able to manage, drive and inspire a Team of around 10 people.
- Being organized and structured enough to make sure of on-time delivery of outputs at the right quality level. Ability to prioritise work, set goals and meet deadlines for team and him/her self.
- 10+ years deep working experience in either Embedded Software Development or Architectural work, preferably in Wireless Connectivity SW development. Minimum of 3yrs experience as Software Architect or Team Lead / Manager for embedded systems
- Experience in architectural specification and API definition.
- System level know-how of Software Development Kits for low-power Embedded Systems (again preferably also with Wireless Connectivity).
- Strive for innovation and adoption of leading edge solutions.
- Develops and teaches colleagues in the own/other discipline.
- Has skills to convince customers, project members, Renesas management and shows enough assertiveness to alert superiors/colleagues
- Able to work with remote teams.
- Ability to analyse sometimes fuzzy client propositions/wishes of high complexity using best practices, based on internal technical knowhow and knowledge of clients’ systems.
- Very good written and verbal communication skills.
- Understanding of interfaces with other disciplines
- Strong external focus, full awareness of competitive edge solutions
- Competition awareness
- Result driven
- Wireless (Bluetooth single/dual mode) SW stack knowledge/experience
- Wireless Communications HW knowledge
- In-depth knowledge of the Bluetooth protocol
- Acts as role model, team player, exhibits positive attitude and drive
- Essential: Degree in Computer science, Electronics or embedded systems, minimum of 3yrs experience as Software Architect or Team Lead / Manager for embedded systems
- Detailed technical experience in system definition/concept engineering within embedded systems/electronics/semiconductor industry
- Academic skill level and work attitude
Renesas Electronics Corporation (TSE: 6723) empowers a safer, smarter and more sustainable future where technology helps make our lives easier. A leading global provider of microcontrollers, Renesas combines our expertise in embedded processing, analog, power and connectivity to deliver complete semiconductor solutions. These Winning Combinations accelerate time to market for automotive, industrial, infrastructure and IoT applications, enabling billions of connected, intelligent devices that enhance the way people work and live. Learn more at renesas.com. Follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.
Renesas’ mission, To Make Our Lives Easier, is underpinned by our company culture, TAGIE. TAGIE stands for Transparent, Agile, Global, Innovative and Entrepreneurial. Our goal is to embed this unique culture in everything we do to succeed as a company and create trust with our diverse colleagues, customers and stakeholders.
We are committed to creating a diverse culture where everyone is included and feels a sense of belonging. For more information, please read our Diversity & Inclusion Statement.