Staff System Engineer
Renesas is one of the top global semiconductor companies in the world. We strive to develop a safer, healthier, greener, and smarter world, and our goal is to make every endpoint intelligent by offering product solutions in the automotive, industrial, infrastructure and IoT markets. Our robust product portfolio includes world-leading MCUs, SoCs, analog and power products, plus Winning Combination solutions that curate these complementary products. We are a key supplier to the world’s leading manufacturers of the electronics you rely on every day; you may not see our products, but they are all around you.
Renesas employs roughly 21,000 people in more than 30 countries worldwide. As a global team, our employees actively embody the Renesas Culture, our guiding principles based on five key elements: Transparent, Agile, Global, Innovative, and Entrepreneurial. Renesas believes in, and has a commitment to, diversity and inclusion, with initiatives and a leadership team dedicated to its resources and values. At Renesas, we want to build a sustainable future where technology helps make our lives easier. Join us and build your future by being part of what’s next in electronics and the world.
About the team: Renesas Electronics Americas (REA) is a dynamic, multi-cultural tech company where employees can learn, mentor and thrive. REA brings together the strong financial foundation of a multi-billion dollar global operation and the flexibility and velocity of a smaller organization. We are developing technologies for the latest advances in mobile computing, secured connected devices, autonomous driving, smart homes and factories and more. Our solutions are at the heart of products developed by the major innovators around the world. Join us and be part of what’s next in electronics.
What you bring to Renesas:
The System and Solution Team (SST) is chartered to help our sales organization develop solutions for our customer base using the entire portfolio of Renesas products. We are a global and multi-disciplinary team with in-depth knowledge of our broad portfolio ranging from microcontrollers and microprocessors, connectivity, memory, analog, power and everything in between. SST provides solutions to customers ranging from block diagrams and architectures all the way to working proof of concept designs, all depending on what level of integration and support a customer requires.
SST is seeking a motivated and experienced Staff System Engineer to take our solutions to the next level. This person will play a pivotal role in the design, documentation and implementation of robust software and firmware solutions covering a wide range of devices and end applications. You will be a senior developer who will transform pieces of silicon on a PCB and make them truly come to life for our customers with innovative features and capabilities. You have the vision and know-how that a total solution is not just about software running on a microcontroller, but also encompasses mobile applications, cloud capabilities like AI and ML, and being agile to keep up with an ever changing landscape of new programming paradigms. In SST, we solve customer technical challenges starting from the solution level going down to the device level. Our software solutions should follow the same path.
You will be a key driver of designing and developing next generation key embedded system solutions. Within SST, we have the power and capability to make these a reality in the best interest of our customers. We are all about improving the customer experience, which in many cases starts with software. Having a good software out of box experience is monumental to the overall SST philosophy.
What You’ll Do
- Design, Develop and document embedded system software solutions for connected IoT applications based on Renesas MCU hardware features and low-level firmware.
- Develop, debug and test firmware drivers, middleware and integrate 3rd party code into Renesas Flexible Software Package.
- Utilize firmware development SDLC processes and best practices to drive high performance and high-quality code and solutions.
- Work with cross-disciplinary team to define and implement embedded software solutions.
- Efficient support for marketing/sales team in design activities.
Skills you’ll need:
- B.S. required (M.S. preferred) in electrical/electronics/computer engineering or computer science disciplines
- Broad understanding of the embedded microcontroller and microprocessing space required (Arm Cortex-A, Cortex-M, RX, RL78, MIPS, RISC-V)
- 10+ years of experience in embedded firmware development.
- Expert in embedded C with strong fundamental knowledge of programming methodologies for low resource microcontroller devices.
- Hands on experience in board bring-up, testing and debugging skills for ARM Cortex-M based systems.
- Experience with wired and wireless networking technologies including Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth/LE, LTE Cat-M1/NB-IoT) including broad understanding of common networking stacks and flows (HTTP, TCP/IP, UDP, MQTT) including their secured counterparts.
- Experience in common protocols found on modern MCUs (UART, I2C, SPI, USB host/device, Ethernet, graphics controllers, DMA, ADC/DACs, timers)
- Past experience in agile CI/CD workflows (project tracking in JIRA and Github using Jenkins workflows or similar technologies)
- Debugging skills with tools like gdb, J-Link, Ozone, protocol analyzers (CATC, Ellisys, Saleae)
- Experience in Python for scripting and automation, some experience with DevOps tools and infrastructure.
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to clearly articulate complex software topics based on sound engineering fundamentals
- Well organized with attention to detail, accuracy and target audience
- Proficient in MS Office (PowerPoint, Excel)
You will stand out if you can also:
- Broad understanding of IoT cloud connected solutions on AWS, Azure and Google
- Prior experience with Renesas digital controllers (MCU/MPU/connectivity)
- Knowledge on Yocto-based embedded Linux distribution, Embedded Linux kernel driver development.
Renesas Electronics America is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, committed to celebrating diversity and fostering a work environment free of discrimination on the basis of sex, race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military status, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.