Manager Software Engineering
Job Type: Permanent - Full Time
Travel Required: Up to 25%
Remote Work Available: No
Renesas is one of the top global semiconductor companies in the world. We strive to develop a safer, healthier, greener, and smarter world, and our goal is to make every endpoint intelligent by offering product solutions in the automotive, industrial, infrastructure and IoT markets. Our robust product portfolio includes world-leading MCUs, SoCs, analog and power products, plus Winning Combination solutions that curate these complementary products. We are a key supplier to the world’s leading manufacturers of the electronics you rely on every day; you may not see our products, but they are all around you.
Renesas employs roughly 21,000 people in more than 30 countries worldwide. As a global team, our employees actively embody the Renesas Culture, our guiding principles based on five key elements: Transparent, Agile, Global, Innovative, and Entrepreneurial. Renesas believes in, and has a commitment to, diversity and inclusion, with initiatives and a leadership team dedicated to its resources and values. At Renesas, we want to build a sustainable future where technology helps make our lives easier. Join us and build your future by being part of what’s next in electronics and the world.
Job Title: Manager, Software Engineering
Reports To: Sr Manager, Software Engineering
About the team: Renesas Electronics Americas (REA) is a dynamic, multicultural tech company where employees can learn, mentor and thrive. REA brings together the strong financial foundation of a multi-billion dollar global operation and the flexibility and velocity of a smaller organization. We are developing technologies for the latest advances in mobile computing, secured connected devices, autonomous driving, smart homes and factories, and more. Our solutions are at the heart of products developed by major innovators around the world. Join us and be part of what’s next in electronics.
Come join the MCU product marketing and business development team and make a difference as we increase our market share and presence in the American market. In this key role, you will join a team that is tasked with being the voice of Renesas microcontrollers in the market, helping our sales team to engage an ever-increasing and diverse set of customers while continuously driving innovations and unique value propositions in our microcontroller lineup.
What you bring to Renesas:
The Software & Digitalization organization is chartered to enable our customers to design & develop solutions in our next-gen cloud-based web IDE using the entire portfolio of Renesas products. We are a global and multi-disciplinary team with in-depth knowledge of our broad portfolio ranging from microcontrollers and microprocessors, connectivity, memory, analog, power, and everything in between. Our Cloud-based platform provides solutions to customers ranging from block diagrams and architectures to working proof of concept designs, all depending on what level of integration and support a customer requires.
Software & Digitalization organization is seeking a motivated and experienced software engineering manager to take our solutions to the next level. This person will play a pivotal role in defining and architecting our firmware and software solutions covering a wide range of devices and end applications. You will be the leader who will transform pieces of silicon on a PCB and make them truly come to life for our customers with innovative features and capabilities. You have the vision and know-how that a total solution is not just about firmware running on a microcontroller but also encompasses mobile applications, cloud capabilities like AI and ML, and being agile to keep up with an ever-changing landscape of new programming paradigms. In SW&D org, we solve customer technical challenges starting from the solution level and going down to the device level. Our software solutions should follow the same path.
You will be a key driver in defining and architecting next-generation ways for developers to interact with and manipulate silicon devices. Some of these methodologies exist today and others are on the verge of becoming mainstream. Within SW&D org, we have the power and capability to make these a reality in the best interest of our customers. We are all about improving the customer experience, which in many cases starts with software. Having a good software out-of-the-box experience is monumental to the overall SW&D org philosophy.
Skills you’ll need:
- B.S. required (M.S. preferred) in electrical/electronics/computer engineering or computer science disciplines
- Broad understanding of the embedded microcontroller and microprocessing space required (Arm Cortex-A, Cortex-M, RX, RL78, MIPS, RISC-V)
- 12+ years of experience in software development, software architecture, or software engineering management
- Mastery of C/C++ required with strong fundamental knowledge of programming methodologies for low-resource microcontroller and microprocessor devices.
- Proficient in Python for scripting and automation
- Strong fundamentals in RTOS (FreeRTOS, Azure RTOS) and threaded application development
- Debugging skills with tools like gdb, J-Link, Ozone, and protocol analyzers (CATC, Ellisys, Saleae)
- Experience in developing wireless connected solutions (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth/LE, LTE Cat-M1/NB-IoT) including a broad understanding of common networking stacks and flows (HTTP, TCP/IP, UDP, MQTT) including their secured counterparts
- Knowledge of common protocols found on modern MCUs (UART, I2C, SPI, USB host/device, Ethernet, CAN, graphics controllers, DMA, ADC/DACs, timers)
- Broad understanding of IoT cloud-connected solutions on AWS, Azure, and Google (device management, OTA, provisioning)
- Solid understanding of security fundamentals, especially related to cloud connectivity (TLS, token exchange, handshaking, certificates and authorities, public/private key pairing)
- Experience in agile CI/CD workflows (project maintenance in JIRA and Github using Jenkins workflows or similar technologies)
- Understanding of Embedded Linux a plus (device driver development, device trees, Yocto / build recipes)
- Mobile application development a plus
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to clearly articulate complex software topics and influence decisions based on sound engineering fundamentals
- Well organized with attention to detail, accuracy, and target audience
- Able to effectively lead, motivate, and influence remote workers and cross-functional teams both internal and external to Renesas
- Able to creatively problem-solve engineering and business challenges, many times concurrently
- Mastery of MS Office (PowerPoint, Excel) and skilled in project management (planning, milestone tracking, agile/scrum processes)
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
Renesas Electronics America is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, committed to celebrating diversity and fostering a work environment free of discrimination on the basis of sex, race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military status, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.