Sr Staff Software Engineer
Job Title: Senior Software Quality Assurance Analyst
Reports To: Manager of Software Engineering
Renesas is a global semiconductor company providing hardware and software solutions for a range of cutting-edge technologies including self-driving cars, robots, automated factory equipment, and smart home applications. We are a key supplier to the world’s leading manufacturers of the electronics you rely on every day; you may not see our products, but they are all around you.
Renesas is a global, multi-billion dollar; publicly-traded company headquartered in Japan and has subsidiaries in 20 countries worldwide. Renesas is a dynamic, multi-cultural technology company where employees learn, mentor, innovate and thrive. Renesas is extending our share in fast-growing data economy-related markets such as infrastructure and data center, and strengthening our presence in the industrial/IOT and automotive segments. Our solutions drive products developed by major innovators around the world. Join us and build your future by being part of what’s next in electronics.
Renesas is looking for a highly experienced Software Quality Assurance Analyst to work on testing customer facing software and hardware/software integrations. This position involves developing a robust understanding of detailed technical requirements for the software and related hardware, development and execution of test plans and detailed manual test cases, collaborating on testing strategies, recommending areas for automated testing, analyzing test results, and debugging test failures and technical issues for one of Renesas’s fastest growing product lines. You will have the opportunity to directly impact customer experience through work on software products that enable feature rich hardware to shine. If you are versatile, inquisitive, detail-oriented, have a passion for diving into complex technical challenges, working with systems involving SW/FW/HW, and collaborating closely with colleagues, we’d like to hear from you. If you seek a place to shine with no artificial barriers, apply now!
- Develop and execute detailed and comprehensive test plans and manual test cases on new features, product updates and internal and external software tools, and their related hardware.
- Produce detailed bugs reports, analyze automated test results, assist developers and customer-facing teams in investigating the root cause of manual and automated test failures and customer issues, differentiating between product and/or test changes that need to be implemented, and provide testing result and coverage status reports.
- Develop a deep understanding of the software products and systems under test as they relate to the hardware, firmware, comms, and similar technologies. Gather, document, and drive clarity on requirements from diverse groups including customers, application engineers, hardware, and firmware engineers to ensure the products we deliver meet and exceed customer expectations for quality.
- Work closely with the Technical Lead for Test on testing strategy, test planning, and the development of testing best practices and processes for the team. Recommend which features would benefit the most from automated testing or assistive scripts or tools to improve efficiency and accuracy in the development and testing process.
- Help mentor colleagues in product understanding, test design, test coverage requirements, and implementation of testing best practices.
- Handle multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced environment and manage tension between timelines, quality, and features.
- Willingness to speak up, raise issues and risks, ask lots of questions, and provide improvement recommendations for products, test cases, test automation, and team processes.
- 7+ years of hands-on Software Quality Assurance on complex systems - at least 5 years of that experience should be in testing software that connects to HW/FW.
- Experience with electronics, microcontroller programming and bus communications, preferably in a power system, semiconductor, and/or integrated circuit domain.
- Extensive experience guiding and mentoring colleagues including performing test case design reviews, test coverage assessments, product learning and technical training.
- Ability to read and script in Python, or similar programming languages for the purpose of understanding automated test cases and analyzing automated test results to provide test automation developers and product developers with important insights into test failures.
- Experience with unit, functional, integration, exploratory, and system testing involving SW/FW/HW
- Understanding of JIRA, Software Version Control tools, Software QA best practices, and Software and Hardware development lifecycles
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and accuracy, strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must have highly developed written and verbal cross-functional communication skills, be a true team player ready to jump in to assist others in a friendly way, excited about learning, applying, and sharing new skills, and keeping up on the latest technologies and tools in testing.
- Java and/or ability to quickly pick up new programming languages in addition to Python.
- Experience in DevOps, Git, HW/SW Test Station design and maintenance, Confluence, GitLab or similar technologies
- Some automated testing experience and automation tool proficiency in Python, Java, Qt Squish, SmartBear Test Complete, or equivalent tools and languages
- An ideal candidate will have a combined Software QA and Integrated Circuit/Power Engineering experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Power Engineering, Computer Science, or similar
Renesas Electronics Corporation (TSE: 6723) empowers a safer, smarter and more sustainable future where technology helps make our lives easier. A leading global provider of microcontrollers, Renesas combines our expertise in embedded processing, analog, power and connectivity to deliver complete semiconductor solutions. These Winning Combinations accelerate time to market for automotive, industrial, infrastructure and IoT applications, enabling billions of connected, intelligent devices that enhance the way people work and live. Learn more at renesas.com. Follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.
Renesas’ mission, To Make Our Lives Easier, is underpinned by our company culture, TAGIE. TAGIE stands for Transparent, Agile, Global, Innovative and Entrepreneurial. Our goal is to embed this unique culture in everything we do to succeed as a company and create trust with our diverse colleagues, customers and stakeholders.
We are committed to creating a diverse culture where everyone is included and feels a sense of belonging. For more information, please read our Diversity & Inclusion Statement.