Senior Software Engineer, Compliance
Human Interest is on a mission to ensure that people in all lines of work have access to retirement benefits.
Nearly half of all working Americans are not saving enough for their future. Too often it’s because they are employed by a company that doesn’t offer a retirement plan. Human Interest is changing that by making it affordable and accessible for small and medium-sized businesses to offer employees a path to financial independence through retirement savings.
We’re a high-growth tech company changing the retirement industry. We’ve raised $500M and are backed by leading investors. Most recently, by funding from BlackRock as well as many other top investors: TPG (The Rise Fund) with SoftBank led our Series D, Glynn Capital, NewView Capital, USVP, Wing, Uncork, and others.
As an engineering organization, we seek to redefine the retirement services space with software that drives toward an effortless, efficient, scalable, and highly reliable cloud based experience.
- Value continuous improvement - we care about documentation, security, durability, not just throwing features over the wall.
- Help each other be better engineers - we leave things better than we found it.
- Aspire to collaborate seamlessly - we ensure our software is improving the customer experience.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Compliance team, you will get to help us build world-class customer experiences to create a trusted and comprehensive compliance product suite that guides and protects our customers. This is a high-impact, hands-on, technical leadership role where you will lead initiatives that help develop our compliance product suite. You will collaborate with domain experts to design, build and lead delivery of 401(k) platforms for our customers. As reliability is key to earning our customers’ trust, you will build robust systems that are observable, maintainable, and scalable. Embrace ownership, make informed trade-offs, integrate across our engineering spectrum, and contribute to the blueprint of our evolving engineering systems.
What you get to do every day
- Build business-critical software that processes customers' retirement savings
- Effectively scale our enterprise applications to support a fast-growing customer base
- Improve complex systems and processes to make them more robust and require less human intervention
- Develop ownership over domains in our system and make informed engineering tradeoffs
- Lead other engineers by sharing knowledge and building expertise on the team
- Write clean, high-quality code and tests, following development best practices
- Delight internal and external stakeholders by delivering high-value features
- Participate in development life cycle activities like design, coding, testing, code reviews, and production releases
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
What you bring to the role
- 10+ years of backend engineering experience
- Desire to work with the following technologies: TypeScript, React, Node, AWS and PostgreSQL.
- Experience leading large technical initiatives including breaking ground on new initiatives and developing existing implementations.
- Strong communication skills. Unpacking financial domain rules and discussing complex technical concepts with engineers and non-engineers is no problem to you
- Experience building scalable backend systems that are robust, maintainable and accurate
- Proactive and empathetic mindset - you love to roll up your sleeves to fix problems for our customers
- Excellent teamwork and collaboration ability with cross-functional teams
- Strong desire to learn new skills and grow
- Enjoy mentoring other engineers and deeply reviewing their code
Nice to have
- Experience architecting complex SaaS products with Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and microservices.
- Past experience working with cloud technologies such as AWS or Microsoft Azure.
- Prior knowledge of GraphQL
- Prior experience with Typescript, React and Node
- Past experience working in startups and/or fintech
Why you will love working at Human Interest
Mission - Highly collaborative startup dedicated to supporting employee engagement and growth. It’s an opportunity to help solve one of the biggest unsolved problems in America: saving for retirement.
Culture - Our operating principles define how we come together as a team to do our work. They reflect Human Interest’s unique view on what’s important and what’s right. Documenting this core aspect of our culture helps employees make good decisions on their own. It also helps candidates considering career opportunities critically evaluate whether they will thrive at Human Interest.
- Customer obsession
- Long-term orientation
- Autonomous and accountable teams
- An escalating bar for talent and performance
- Fundamental optimism
Compensation - At Human Interest, there are a number of factors that are used to determine the appropriate pay range for each position. We take into account the cost of labor for each position in various markets across the US. The base salary for this position spans from a minimum of $195,000 in our lowest geographic region to a maximum of $230,000 in our highest geographic region. The salary that we offer to a new employee within this range is based on their location within the US, their relevant job-related skills, and experience. At Human Interest, base salary is one component of the overall Total Rewards package. Depending on the position, additional compensation components such as bonus, commission, and equity may be offered. All of our employees are offered a robust suite of physical, financial and mental wellness benefits.
- A great 401(k) plan: Our own! Our 401(k) includes a dollar-for-dollar employer match up to 4% of compensation (immediately vested) and $0 plan fees
- Top-of-the-line health plans, as well as dental and vision insurance
- Generous PTO and parental leave policies
- Lyra - Enhanced Mental Health Support for Employees and dependents
- Carrot - Fertility healthcare and family forming benefits
- Candidly - Student loan resource to help you and your family plan, borrow, and repay student debt
- Monthly work-from-home stipend; annual wellness stipend
- Employee Resource Groups including Veterans, Lift Ev’ry Voice, Pride, LatinX, Families, and Women in Tech
- Fun online and regional events and celebrations and department and company offsites
- The vast majority of our positions can be 100% remote
We’re a great place to work (but don’t take our word for it)
Here’s a list of our awards and accolades:
- Certified as a Great Place To Work® (2023)
- Best Places to Work by Built In (2023)
- A Top Company by Y Combinator (2020-2023)
- America’s Best Startup Employers by Forbes (2020-2022)
- Inc. Fastest Growing Companies (2021)
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, pregnancy, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Human Interest employees must adhere to the Company’s security policies and Code of Ethics.
Please note Human Interest does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider resumes from vendors including and without limitation search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services, and recruiting agencies.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We comply with CCPA guidelines. See more: https://humaninterest.com/disclosures