Director, Data Science
You will be joining Near, one of the fastest growing Enterprise SaaS companies and experience a true start-up culture with the freedom to experiment and innovate. At Near, we believe that great culture is not just about work; it’s work + life. We not only encourage our employees to dream big, but also give them the freedom and the tools to do so.
Near is looking for a Director of Data Sciences to lead and scale our data science organization. You will be a member of the Near Data Science team reporting directly to the Sr. VP of Data Science. This is a unique opportunity to own, build and lead a team and ensure that we are continuously driving technical value without compromising stability. You will contribute to our global data platform harnessing signals from over a billion MAUs and used by partners across the United States, Europe, Japan and Asia Pacific. We are looking for a driven and ambitious leader who can play a pivotal role in the next phase of our journey.
A Day in the Life
- In collaboration with the pod leads, build a roadmap for key deliverables for People and Place Insights to power key services and products.
- Work closely with the Product and Engineering counterparts to review and evolve the data science teams. Create KPIs that focus the teams on enabling great products and services that address productivity, efficiency, satisfaction and competitive differentiation.
- Developing “core” data science/statistical models - that power our data Platform and associated products.
- Data analysis to support market research, data generated in the Near Platform and products (including campaign analytics) to assess quality and relevance.
- Analytics with data including structured and unstructured data in multiple formats (text, audio, video) spanning multiple domains including user profile data, geo-spatial data, network data and retail data.
- Working closely with the Engineering team to “operationalize” and deploy the models and data analysis tools. This includes required programming and data analysis activities and familiarity with programming tools such as Python, R and others.
- Use communication and collaboration tools to provide a high-level of visibility and transparency around KPIs and results to Executive and other teams.
- Lead Data Science discussions at Quarterly Leadership kick offs with global teams on strategic initiatives.
- Dedicate resources to certain “moonshot” R&D projects for game changing initiatives.
- Execute the ‘build—measure—learn’ cycle to turn ideas into MVPs, measure the effect on KPIs, and pivot or persevere based on results.
- Provide line management for all direct reports, complete annual reviews and conduct performance management for the data science team.
- Proactively present succinct, fact and logic-based recommendations to the Executive Team.
What You Bring to the Role
- Master’s or Ph.D. in Statistics, Applied Mathematics or Computer Science.
- 8 to 12 years of experience, with at least 4 years in predictive modelling.
- 4+ year’s experience in Leadership role.
- Experience in data modelling and experimental design in fast-moving, growth-oriented startup.
- Strong leadership skills including vision & goal setting, team building & mentoring and cross-functional communication.
Apply to join us
Something looks off?