Solutions Engineer - Federal
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2023
Orbital Insight, Inc. is currently seeking a solutions engineer to join our Federal team. This is a hybrid position based in Washington, D.C. The candidate will be expected to travel to client sites and work as needed at Orbital Insight’s office in Arlington. In this role, you will be an integral part of demonstrating Orbital Insight’s new TerraScope product, a SaaS platform that analyzes a wide variety of sensor data— from satellites to connected devices—to answer Earth’s most urgent and challenging national security problems for our Federal customers. You will work with a passionate team bringing insights to government customers concerned about everything from military movements and illicit trafficking to macroeconomics, migration, supply chain and sustainability. You are growth-oriented, curious, and passionate about bringing innovative, commercial geospatial intelligence tools to the government.
Orbital Insight’s mission is to understand what is happening on and to the Earth, and our insights have helped track rates of deforestation, detect manufacturing and supply chain disruptions, measure poverty levels around the globe, monitor construction and mining, identify suspect fishing patterns, and more. As a Solutions Engineer you will be at the forefront of our efforts to empower our customers to use TerraScope to solve their hardest problem sets.
Geospatial data analysis can reveal patterns, detect change and empower decision-makers to cut costs, reduce risk and identify new revenue opportunities. Intelligence gathering is cumbersome, technically challenging, and requires navigating the complex geolocation data value chain of dozens of diverse data vendors. TerraScope is one of the only SaaS platforms to effectively combine computer vision, geolocation data, and cutting-edge AI techniques to deliver highly customizable insights to customers. It simplifies geospatial analytics so non-technical users can access data-powered insights, and technical users can use its flexible design to rapidly build their own geospatial data-powered solutions.
Skills and Traits of Competitive Candidates
You will use your domain knowledge and experience to define client use cases, and apply both your creative and technical prowess to design solutions to meet these challenges with the sensor data, analytics, and flexibility of TerraScope at your disposal.
You thrive on solving problems, and collaborating cross functionally. You may start your day in a client meeting where you’ll articulate how a certain computer vision algorithm works to an audience of mixed technical aptitude, while highlighting TerraScope’s unique features. Afterwards you may write some Python code using the TerraScope Software Development Kit (SDK) to build a new multi-sensor analysis for a new use case you’ve been exploring, and then finish up the day in an internal meeting with the product team advocating for a new feature request from a client.
The position is based in Washington, D.C.
- Collaborate with government customers, our Federal sales team and Orbital Insight product owners to understand and support government customers’ needs
- Apply Orbital Insight’s TerraScope-powered solutions using a strong understanding of both government needs and technology capabilities
- Articulate government needs and objectives to product development and engineering
- Through creative solutions, drive widespread user adoption of TerraScope within our customer organizations
- Develop data-powered insights from TerraScope in order to build value for our government customers
- Own the end-to-end execution of solution engineering deliverables for our most important government customers, using the TerraScope SDK and customer APIs
- Complete deliverables on behalf of or in collaboration with government clients
- Work with internal stakeholders to drive the strategy of our accounts—this could include assistance with technical volumes in proposals, demo creation for upselling and expansion opportunities
- Active TS / SCI Clearance desirable or the ability to cleared to this level
- Bachelor’s degree in STEM or data-heavy discipline such as economics, statistics, etc.
- 3 to 5 years of experience
- 1 or 2+ years of experience with programming languages: Python as a primary language. Other languages like SQL, R, are a plus
- Experience or familiarity with geospatial tools and software such as QGIS or ESRI
- Experience with automated analyses and machine learning applied to satellite or aerial images or data, and/or large-scale feature data
- Professional experience in drawing conclusions from data to aid decision-making or consuming data in a commercial setting
- Ability to manage many simultaneous technical and functional responsibilities, and exercise strong interpersonal/communication skills as part of a diverse and growing team
- Strong research and data analysis skills, meticulousness, and attention to detail are required
- Strong verbal skills and a willingness to ask questions. Most of us picked up technical skills while on the job, which was the result of a willingness to learn and push beyond our comfort zones
At Orbital Insight, we believe that a diverse workforce that reflects the diversity of our planet is the way to achieve our mission: to understand what is happening on and to the Earth. Orbital Insight is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. We do not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes and will not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Orbital Insight.
See more open positions at Orbital Insight
Something looks off?