Senior Hardware Engineer - Broomfield, CO
Founded in 2017, Phantom Auto is the only company capable of remotely monitoring, guiding, and driving vehicles from thousands of miles away. Our technology is like Zoom for the physical world, and our customers are bestowing that same remote work privilege on their employees that formerly had to be physically inside vehicles to operate them.
We are an energetic and passionate team on a mission to build the future of remote operation.
At Phantom, every day is a unique adventure as we work with the world’s leading automation companies. Because we work with companies all around the world, we have the unique opportunity to work with many incredible vehicles and use cases.
As an early team member, you will be instrumental in defining the foundations of our product and culture. If you are determined to take on the world’s most complex challenges and help build an industry-defining company, this is the opportunity for you.
To learn more about what we do, view the following link.
Who You Are:
As a Senior Safety Hardware Engineer, an onsite position based out of our Northern Denver office, you will be a pioneer in a job of the future by developing rapid and safe deployment of tele-operated / remotely driven forklifts and industrial vehicles from a hardware and safety perspective. This position will report directly to the VP of Hardware.
You will strive to make the Phantom Auto vehicles best in class through precise design, innovation, and quality assurance as great partners and functional experts. This position plays a crucial role in the transformation of our vehicles' production line and partners leadership to drive change within the organization. This includes leveraging lean concepts, owning analysis that drives functional insights, collaborating on our new designs, and managing partnerships at various levels outside the organization. We are looking for a team leader who is customer-centric and embodies a try fast, learns fast, and think big mindset.
- Designing, developing and enhancing electrical / safety systems and devices.
- Integrating safety rated sensors onto safety rated controllers
- Designing custom, low-cost safety system (PCBA for I/O & logic/safety rated microprocessors) with the support of internal team and external consultants (as needed)
- Creating Tele-operated / Automated Systems and collaborating with the product, software, and mechanical team to control them.
- Monitoring failure modes from the Field deployments and working on quality improvements through the product lifecycle.
- Conducting research, documenting findings, and presenting reports at meetings.
- Developing design documents for electrical parts, systems, and final products, such as Documentation/Drawings, Schematics design.
- Testing Documentation.
- Supplier and component identification/selection.
- Provide support for Customer Service and issue resolution.
- Identifying areas of weakness in the production line or finished products and making recommendations for improvement.
- Assisting with recruitment, on-boarding, and training of junior Electrical / Control Engineers or Apprentices.
- Attending workshops, training sessions, and conferences to network with others and stay on top of field advancements.
- Position based in office in Northern Denver office
- BS in Electrical, Computer, Controls engineering, or similar
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in electrical engineering background
- Prefer a track record of bringing a product to finish line in the industrial/machinery/robotics market
- Knowledge of cost, efficiency, and productivity optimization methods
- Ability to develop and evaluate integrated systems
- Experience in the Autonomous Mobility or Tele-operation industry
- Change management experience
- Experience with DC motor controls and control logic
- Familiarity with ANSI, ISO, CSA, and other safety standards (strong advantage)
- Experience with PLC design/I/O systems
- Experience with SICK safety controllers, LIDARs, and limitations (strong advantage)
- Experience with FW and SW
- Desire to learn safety-certifiable FW and associated microprocessors and associated PCBA design (strong advantage)
- Experience with production documentation
- Good communication with other engineering disciplines and manufacturing
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with MS programs, Word, Excel or G-Suite.
- Ability to work well within a team environment.
The pay for this position has a salary range of $125,000-$160,000. The actual salary offer will carefully consider a wide range of factors, including your skills, qualifications, experience, and location. Also, certain positions are eligible for additional forms of compensation such as bonuses and options.
- Be part of an early start-up that's backed by industry-leading venture capitalists
- Competitive compensation package with early-stage equity at a high-growth startup
- Exceptional benefits: Employer-provided Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance (99% of medical covered by Phantom Auto)
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Short-term/long-term disability and life insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- 401K Retirement Plan
- Paid Holidays
- Healthy Work / Life Balance
- Company-sponsored events
- Pet-friendly workplace
- Free weekday lunches
- Employee Referral Program
- Cool colleagues
- Incredible career growth potential
A Final Note
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Phantom Auto, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.