Senior Commercial Counsel
We are on a mission to grow plenty of fresh food for everyone, everywhere. We are building the world’s largest, most technologically advanced, indoor vertical farms. Using a fraction of the land and water outdoor farms need, our farms are designed to secure our food future.
Our people and teams are how we make our mission possible. We are passionate about our contributions to Plenty, the communities around us and our planet, but never take ourselves too seriously. We’re down to earth, we grow together, and we always find a way. Join us as we rewrite the rules of agriculture, and we’ll bet our berries you’ll be rewarded with innovative and collaborative teammates, a supportive environment, diverse career opportunities and meaningful work.
About the role
Plenty is looking for a Senior Commercial Counsel to join our Legal team. In this role you will report to the Associate General Counsel of Plenty, with whom you will work closely. You will predominantly support our Supply Chain, Commercial, and Marketing teams, with opportunities to support special cross-functional projects as they arise. In this role, you will be critical in enabling and accelerating partnerships with third parties to enable profitable growth at Plenty, which will in turn enable the launch and expansion of the world’s most advanced vertical farms, while protecting our proprietary information. Your responsibilities will include drafting and negotiating high-value agreements including major CapEx (capital expenditures) and equipment purchases; establishing long-term partnerships with key vendors to enable low-cost, rapid farm deployments; offering guidance to various internal teams on legal issues on an ongoing basis; and proactively establishing form documentation, policies and best practices for the company.
What you'll do
- Draft and negotiate a wide variety of contracts, including major CapEx and equipment purchase agreements; direct materials purchase and other supply chain-related agreements; technology license agreements (including software and hardware licenses); media licenses; consulting and other services agreements; and confidentiality agreements
- Help to formulate strategy for, coordinate drafting and negotiation of, and execute on, a variety of strategic transactions (with a particular focus on strategic vendor relationships and strategic sourcing agreements, often with complex IP implications).
- Assist in analyzing and tracking ongoing contractual obligations, running point on conflicts or arbitration/litigation, as applicable
- Research and help the business navigate through a variety of U.S. and international regulatory matters, especially as it relates to supply chain-related matters, such as export, data security and privacy laws
- Help to select and manage U.S. outside counsel, as well as local counsel in various international jurisdictions
- Generally be ready to help handle whatever arises – we’re a big startup, and every day is different!
- Others duties as assigned
What you'll bring to the table
- J.D. degree
- 6+ years experience with a combination of in-house and competitive law firm experience
- 3+ years of IP transactional experienceI related to hardware
- Experience negotiating major CapEx and other strategic sourcing agreements, including strong experience interfacing directly with Supply Chain teams
- Expert transactional skills, including contract drafting, negotiation, and management through execution
- Strong responsiveness, time management, project prioritization and management skills
- Ability to effectively partner with business leads in various departments, translating legalese into clear and concise communications and proactively identifying negotiating priorities and creatively identifying solutions
- Ability to quickly assess and quantify legal risk, formulate options and recommendations, and confidently present same to an executive audience
- Experience managing internal stakeholders, outside counsel and/or coordinating legal subject matter experts as part of a deal team
- All-around team player who can thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative, mission-driven environment, where every day brings a new challenge that may push you outside of your comfort zone
Type of role
What we can offer
- Compensation; we’ll pay you a competitive salary, give you a stake in the company via equity and contribute toward your 401K
- Health & well-being; we’ll invest in your physical and mental well-being with comprehensive medical, dental, & vision benefits, in-office gyms, and an Employee Assistance Program to help with mental health, financial & legal matters
- Food; in-office lunches, snacks and access to our leafy greens & new produce in development -- are you up for a side gig as a taste tester?
- Grow together; learning & development opportunities including unlimited access to our Upstart University platform, LinkedIn Learning, lunch & learns, training certifications, and more
- Equipment; we’ll provide you with the equipment you need to be successful, including $75/month toward your phone bill and $250 every 2 years to upgrade your phone
- Paid time off; we know you’ll do your best if you’re taking time to recharge, so we don’t cap the amount of days you can take off per year in addition to the paid holidays we observe
- Parental leave; 12 weeks off for all new parents - fully paid so you can focus your energy on your newest addition
Food & Safety Requirements
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations
- All applicants must be 18 years or older to apply
If you reside in California, Colorado, New York, or Washington please send an email to email@example.com to receive compensation information for this role.