Lead Business Analyst
Remote · United States
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2023
We’re Tovala, a food-tech company reinventing home cooking to save consumers time. Through an innovative combination of hardware, software, and fresh food delivery, we make it incredibly simple for anyone to prepare and enjoy delicious, home-cooked meals without sacrificing time to do whatever matters to them. Through our superior technology, product experience and food quality, we have separated Tovala from the busy pack of other meal delivery businesses. In the process, we’ve amassed a loyal, rapidly growing following and our retention, product engagement and customer NPS are all best-in-class. We’ve raised over $100mm from great investors like Left Lane Capital, Origin Ventures, Y Combinator and Comcast Ventures and have invested strongly in building a unique culture that fosters growth, personal development and camaraderie.
How you'll spend your time at Tovala
- Work within a centralized Data Team (Engineers and Analysts) to support our Product Team
- Design, conduct, and report on experiments to verify/nullify the Product Team’s hypotheses
- Champion analytically backed recommendations to uncover high value opportunities
- Own ETL, data validations, and documentation to support your and others’ analyses
- Inform implementation details with Product and Software teams to ensure data integrity
- Identify and seize opportunities for automation, consolidation, and templatization
- Support demand forecasting by assessing and updating models as the business evolves
- Mentor more junior teammates to be more effective (presentation skills, technical skills, etc.)
- Partner with Data Engineers to identify and scope integrations of new value-add datasets
- We’re not big on buzzwords like “rockstar”. So here’s what we’re actually looking for:
- You’re humble, accountable, and intelligent. You value those things in that order.
- You’re highly analytical. You have a strong foundation in statistics, experiment design, and analytical methods. You dig beyond surface-level answers and get to the “why” rather than stopping at the “what”.
- You’re an excellent communicator. You effectively communicate priorities, blockers, and results. You can identify ambiguities and work collaboratively with less technical folks to achieve clarity.. You cater your messaging to your audience and are comfortable presenting findings, whether to a fellow Analyst or the CEO.
- You’re technologically savvy. You will be trusted to independently make and justify tradeoffs between technical implementations depending on the scope, impact, and urgency of the problem.
- You’re results oriented. You’re comfortable making deliberate tradeoffs between “the best way” and “the most useful quick way” of achieving results. Nobody checks (or cares) what hours you work - we care that the work gets done and that you feel happy and supported doing it.
- You bring your authentic self to work. Give us a chance to appreciate the person behind the job title. Bonus points if your authentic self is passionate about stats and food!
- Native fluency in SQL, Looker, and Python/R
- Proficiency in dbt
- Extensive experience applying statistical/econometric models to solve business problems
- Expertise designing and implementing intuitive ETL to underlie your analyses and predictions
- Experience A/B testing at enterprise scale
- Experience using version-control to develop and update code (git, bitbucket, etc.)
- Begrudging proficiency in MS Excel (rare, but sometimes necessary #StartupLife)
Compensation & Benefits
- Tovala uses market data, geography, and placement of internal employees to determine appropriate salary. Additionally, we offer all employees real ownership in the company in the form of a competitive equity package.
- Unlimited paid time off (with a minimum of 15 days off you HAVE to take)
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage we really invest in
- 401k with match
- Free Tovala Smart Oven and discounted Tovala meals
- Paid holidays and our winter holiday office shutdown where the offices and facilities close for a week around Christmas and New Years
- Various other perks - recognition programs, continued learning stipend, casual dress code, in-office coffee, snacks and drinks, and Tovala swag
The values we hold dear
Put the team first
We put what is best for the broader team ahead of what is best for ourselves or our immediate department.
Get s#!t done (well)
We celebrate people at all levels for delivering high impact work that expands the bounds of what we’re able to do.
Connect the dots
We engage with curiosity to learn how our work impacts others so that we can problem-solve holistically and work collaboratively.
We share our perspective openly and directly, even when it feels difficult to do so.
Embrace the obstacles
We rise to meet challenges with a sense of urgency, resolve, and optimism.
Champion the customer
We consider and prioritize our customer in all of our decisions
At Tovala we‘re committed to building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here!
See more open positions at Tovala
Something looks off?